What may work (rated by us in order of effectiveness):
★★Pineapple- There are lots of fruits that are safe for canine consumption and pineapple is one of them. Pineapple can work in a number of ways. It contains bromelain, which is an enzyme that aids in both the absorption of protein and it helps with digestion. Therefore, with a little boost of protein being better absorbed and with digestion working a bit better, this in itself may stop a Yorkie from eating feces.
Some claim that pineapple works as a deterrent, as it causes stools to taste foul. It should be noted that this is an assumption and has not been proven to be so.
If you try pineapple, you can obtain either the canned chunks or crushed pieces. Puppies can have 2 chunks per meal (or 2 teaspoons) and adults can have 3 (or 3 teaspoons).
– Pumpkin is a great food to keep on hand, since it often helps with intestinal issues, such as when a Yorkie has constipation
or diarrhea. Since it can help with digestion, it may then in turn help with coprophagia. Do note that it’s easy to confuse canned pumpkin with canned pumpkin pie filling and the filling should NOT be given. Only use real pumpkin.
★★ Adolph's Meat tenderizer
– This is one of the very few meat tenderizers that does not contain MSG (see above), but does contain papin which can help stop a Yorkshire Terrier from eating poop. What is papin? It is a protein digesting enzyme that comes from the papaya fruit. It aids the body in digesting food which allows more nutrients to be absorbed and therefore, fewer instances of coprophagia.
In addition, there is anecdotal evidence that this can cause stools to taste bad, thus acting as a repellent.
★★★ Potty Mouth
– This is a supplement that is taste just fine, but makes bowel movements taste terrible to about 40% of dogs. Therefore, this may be worth trying if other options have not worked. Serving size is just 1 piece per 10 pounds, so most Yorkies only need 1/2 piece and that means that a bag will last for 120 days (4 months). There is no
MSG and ingredients are: Brewers Yeast, Cayenne, Biotin, Vitamin B1, Vitamin B2, Vitamin B6 Niaciamide, Iron and Copper.
★★★★ Prozyme powder
– Prozyme powder is a supplement that is often used to help puppies and dogs that have trouble absorbing nutrients (and may have struggle to maintain weight). It can also help with issues such as loose stools. Additionally it has been proven to be effective to treat coprophagia with about 50% of dogs. Choose a quality brand such as Trophy, that can be trusted.
★★★★ NaturVet Coprophagia Deterrent Soft Chews
– Out of all chews and supplements, this is one that is effective for about 50% of dogs, making it even with prozyme powder in terms of success. The active ingredients are Yucca Schidigera (a flowering desert plant, used in many holistic remedies), parsley leaf, an enzyme blend and chamomile.
There is a variety of NaturVet that also doubles as a breath freshener.